The Des Moines Community Playhouse is raising the curtain on Act Two, the second phase of its capital campaign, at a public kick-off, 5:30 PM, Tuesday, May 2, at the theatre. The event is free; reservations are requested and may be made by calling Anna Zimney, Playhouse administrative assistant, at 515-974-5356.
The Playhouse has secured $2.8 million to date for Act Two from philanthropic foundations, including a lead gift from the Ruan Family Foundation, corporate donors, and dedicated volunteers and subscribers. Priorities for Act Two, with a $4.5 million project goal, are safety, ADA accessibility, and up-to-date theatre standards. This includes:
- Full renovation of the Mainstage auditorium including new seats, ceiling, and carpeting
- ADA and safety improvements including Mainstage access
- The addition of catwalks and an updated proscenium
- Updated lighting, sound, and rigging equipment
- Renovation of all restrooms and concessions areas
- Updating of a lower level classroom
- New mechanical systems
Fundraising will continue through 2017, with renovations scheduled to begin in Spring 2018. The fully renovated space will be unveiled to the community for the Playhouse’s 100th season, beginning in Fall 2018.
The Playhouse’s Act One capital campaign began in 2009. With the help of the community, more than $5.6 million was secured to meet immediate needs. This included a new west entrance and lobby/meeting space, renovated classroom spaces, and initial mechanical updates. While Act One was successful, there is still more to do to ensure the Playhouse can continue to serve the Greater Des Moines community for the next 100 years.