The Des Moines Community Playhouse has successfully closed Act Two, the second phase of its capital campaign.
The Playhouse secured $4.0 million Act Two from philanthropic foundations, including a lead gift from the Ruan Family Foundation, corporate donors, and dedicated volunteers and subscribers. Priorities for Act Two were safety, ADA accessibility, and up-to-date theatre standards. This included:
- Full renovation of the Mainstage auditorium including new seats, ceiling, and carpeting
- ADA and safety improvements including Mainstage access
- The addition of catwalks and an updated proscenium
- Updated lighting, sound, and rigging equipment
- Renovation of all restrooms and concessions areas
- Updating of a lower level classroom
The renovations are scheduled to begin May, 2018. The fully renovated space will be unveiled to the community for the Playhouse’s 100th season, beginning in Fall 2018.
The Playhouse’s Act One capital campaign began in 2009. With the help of the community, more than $5.6 million was secured to meet immediate needs. This included a new west entrance and lobby/meeting space, renovated classroom spaces, and initial mechanical updates. While Act One was successful, there is still more to do to ensure the Playhouse can continue to serve the Greater Des Moines community for the next 100 years.
To learn more about Act One, click here. To learn more about the final phase of the capital improvements, Razzle Dazzle Capital Campaign, please click here. For any additional questions, please contact Chris Andersen, director of philanthropy, at (515) 974.5370.