Beaufield Berry’s Buffalo Women: A Black Cowgirl Musical Dramedy
Juneteenth. New lives. new freedoms. Buffalo Women is a tale of hidden figures living extraordinary lives on the frontier in 1865.
A newly freed slave, Bethula, is in search of her daughter who was sold by the master who ran the plantation where Bethula was captive. She meets four other women along the way who are based on real, badass women in history.
Though the plot sounds like a heavy drama, the brilliance of this show is that it is a romp. Beaufield Berry has written dialogue that weaves the vernacular of the 1800s with contemporary speech. It’s raw and true and smartly speaks with comedic honesty about motherhood, revenge, and how resilient Black women were and have always been.
Playwright Beaufield Berry will be at talkbacks Sunday, June 19; Friday, June 24; Saturday, June 25; and Sunday, June 26, 2022.
The Des Moines production is a workshop performance of this brand-new work by Beaufield Berry. It will be produced in two other cities in the next year, Blue Barn Theatre in Omaha and another theatre in Kansas City.
Beaufield Berry’s Buffalo Women is a co-production of Pyramid Theatre Company and The Playhouse.
Our safety guide has been updated and reflects these main changes: The Playhouse no longer requires masks to attend a performance. However, masks are welcomed! If it makes you more comfortable, please feel free to wear a mask. We understand that individual healthcare is a matter of personal practices and choices.
We do ask that:
- if you are feeling sick, or
- have a positive test, or
- have had exposure to someone who has COVID
please call the ticket office and reschedule your performance. Our refund and exchange policy remains in effect: You have up to 7 days following your performance date to request an exchange or refund.
Please note: The Playhouse remains committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for volunteers and guests. Should circumstances change once again, mask mandates return, or the CDC alters their recommendations, we will follow the most stringent guidelines. Click here to read our changes as of Mar. 2, 2022.
- Performance Times:
- 7:00 PM Sunday, June 19; 7:30 PM Wednesday, June 22-Saturday, June 25; 2:00 PM Sunday, June 26, 2022
- Kate Goldman Children's Theatre
- Run Time:
- 2 hours 15 minutes including a 15-minute intermission
- Content Advisory:
- Adult content and language. The Playhouse does not rate subject matter as sensitivities vary from person to person. If you have questions about content, age appropriateness, or other aspects of the show (ie strobe lights and other theatrical effects), please contact the ticket office at 515.277.6261.
- Download Playbill