Playhouse on the Air Presents: Miracle on 34th Street
Enter a 1940s radio studio where a radio host, sound effects artists, and a star-studded acting company bring the holiday classic, Miracle on 34th Street, to life. Young Susan Walker has been raised by her well-meaning mother, Doris, not to believe in Santa Claus. Then she meets Kris Kringle, the man hired to play Santa at Macy’s department store. When a jealous Macy’s employee frames Kris for an assault, attorney Fred Gailey must prove to Doris, Susan, and a court of law that Kris IS the real Santa. Perfect for the whole family!
Help us stock pantries in the Drake Neighborhood
Now through the end of December, The Playhouse and Table Church are collecting items for Impact, a community action partnership with a food pantry and anytime shelves in the Drake neighborhood and other Polk County locations. You are encouraged to bring items with you when you come to the show – canned goods, peanut butter, dry pasta, cereal, fruit juice, paper products, or personal care items – and help combat hunger in Greater Des Moines.
Preview Night, 7:00 PM, Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020, was free with at least one non-perishable or personal toiletry item for our food drive. Space was limited and guests needed to make a free reservation and bring an item to donate when coming to the theatre Thursday night.
For those not yet ready to come into the theatre:
The Playhouse provided a Livestream on opening night, Friday, Dec. 4, 2020.
Opening night was recorded and is available for on-demand viewing, Dec. 9-27, 2020. Click here to purchase video on-demand for viewing Dec. 9-27, 2020.
Livestream and Video On-Demand (VOD) guidance:
- When you order one of these streaming options, you will receive a link in Your Confirmation email that comes from firstname.lastname@example.org. (Check your junk/spam folder as it sometimes ends up there.)
- The stream can be cast to your smart TV if your TV can accept casting. (The newer models do.) Or if you have ROKU or Chromecast, they too can accept your casting.
- If you purchase VOD, you can watch the video as many times as you want in a 24 hour period from the first time you start the video. Your link can only be used on one device.
- For both Livestream and VOD, the camera is seated in the front row of the ramp – our most popular seat with patrons – and captures the entire stage. There are no Hamilton/Disney+ multiple cameras and close-ups; it is as if you are in the theatre, sitting in the front row of the ramp. If there is a preshow talk, that is included.
Looking for an authentic radio play experience? Two of our partners are airing the audio, complete with sound effects, on Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, 2020. Both offer streaming opportunities on their website for those out of the area.
- Performance Times:
- 7:00 PM Thursdays-Fridays, 2:00 PM Saturdays-Sundays
- John Viars Theatre
- Run Time:
- 95 minutes; performed without intermission
- Content Advisory:
- Playhouse holiday productions are intended for ages 5 and up. The Playhouse does not rate subject matter as sensitivities vary from person to person. If you have questions about content, age-appropriateness, or other aspects of the show (ie strobe lights and other theatrical effects), please contact the ticket office at 515.277.6261.
- Download Playbill