Volunteering at The Playhouse
Welcome! We’re thrilled that you’re interested in becoming part of our team. There are so many ways to get involved. We have activities for people of all ages, skill levels, and interests.
Please fill out the form below to get started. The form takes about 3 minutes to complete. We’ll contact you within a few days of receiving it.
Safety Guide, updated Apr. 6, 2021
The Des Moines Playhouse is following all recommendations from state and local governments and from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In terms of volunteer safety, these measures include the following:
- Please do not come if you are feeling unwell or have been unwell in the past 14 days, have been recently diagnosed with COVID-19, or are awaiting a COVID-19 test result.
- Temperatures of performers, crew, and staff in close contact will be taken at the beginning of each rehearsal.
- Masks will be worn at all times in the building, including during rehearsals. Actors will not wear masks during performances, but all other volunteers, staff, and guests will be masked in the building.
- Face shields offered at all rehearsals and performances for crew and actors as extra face covering.
- Restrooms should be wiped down between each use.
- Frequent handwashing and disinfecting of actors’ properties and greenroom spaces.
- Distances of 6 feet or more maintained as much as possible during the rehearsal process and backstage during performances for all volunteers.
- Disinfecting and cleaning of the building before performances.
- Hand sanitizing stations placed throughout the building.
- Limited seating capacity in the auditorium with first row of audience at least 10 feet away from the front of the stage.
- Records kept of all people in the building at all times in case contact tracing becomes necessary.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. If you are not comfortable taking this risk, please do not volunteer at The Playhouse yet. We respect and support that decision. If you plan to volunteer at The Playhouse you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
We have drawn upon the guidelines suggested by local, state, and federal agencies, experts, and associations. The Playhouse remains committed to monitoring the current recommendations, guidelines, and restrictions to which we are subject. Click here to download our full safety guide.