Anyone who ever wanted to act, from persons with no experience to the most seasoned actor, is welcome on our stage. Beginning with auditions and ending with the final curtain call, staff and support volunteers are there to help. Many novices are concerned about learning all the lines or being nervous on stage. This should not stop anyone! During the many weeks of rehearsal your role and character will become second nature.
Did you know 50% of the actors who appear on our stages every year are making their Playhouse debut?
Not all roles require attendance at all rehearsals. Depending upon the role and the show, rehearsals may be 4-7 days per week for 5-7 weeks prior to opening. Rehearsals are typically 2-3 hours.
- All actors are required for all performances (15-25 performances).
Additional information on auditioning follows the audition schedule.
|Cast Needs Legend:|
|M = men||ages 16+ unless otherwise noted|
|W = women||ages 16+ unless otherwise noted|
|B = boys||ages 8-15 unless otherwise specified|
|G = girls||ages 8-15 unless otherwise specified|
PDF audition forms are posted prior to auditions. Please complete BOTH the audition form and the conflict calendar and bring them with you to auditions. Both of these documents will be available to you should you choose to complete them at the Playhouse prior to your audition.
Those auditioning for musicals (*) must bring a prepared solo. An accompanist will be provided, as well as the ability to play an accompaniment track from an iPhone or similar device.
All auditions are open to the public.
|Show||Performance Dates||Audition Date
6:30 PM MONDAY unless otherwise noted
(audition materials coming soon!)
Apr. 6-29, 2018
|Monday, Jan. 29, 2018||
7 M**, 4 W**, 1 B, 1 G, Ensemble M, W, B & G of multiple ethnicities including roles for African-American men and women
**2 roles are written for African-American men
**1 role is written for an African-American woman
Click here for more detailed Ragtime cast formation.
July 13-28, 2018
|Monday, Apr. 23, 2018||
7 M, 6 W, Ensemble M & W
General information on auditions:
- The Playhouse is committed to diversity in casting. Where race, ethnicity, gender, age, or other personal differentiations are not demanded by the script, the Playhouse casts plays without regard to these attributes, and actively encourages participation by all members of the community.
- Information sheets are available online with each show. Auditionees are encouraged to fill out these forms prior to coming to auditions. Auditionees should come with their calendars so they can provide complete information.
- The Playhouse does not typically make audition appointments; auditionees are taken in the order that they turn in their information sheets.
- For musicals, auditionees need to sing a prepared song. Auditionees will sing about one minute, or 16-32 bars of music. Most directors prefer that it not be from the show being auditioned. The Playhouse provides an accompanist as well as the ability to play a track from an iPhone or similar device. Auditionees may be taught a dance or movement routine as part of the audition. Auditionees may be asked to read a selection from the script. The Playhouse does not ask for prepared monologues.
- For non-musicals, those auditioning are asked to read a selection from the script. The Playhouse does not ask for prepared monologues. Usually scripts may be checked out from the Playhouse ticket office for up to one week. Scripts may not be checked out the week prior to auditions. It is suggested that auditionees contact the Playhouse ticket office at 515-277-6261 to confirm a script is available before coming in. Ticket office hours are Noon-6:00 PM, Tuesday-Friday.
- Call-backs are usually held on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Not everyone will be asked to call-backs. Some roles may be cast from the initial audition.
- Cast lists are posted on the Playhouse website, once cast has been confirmed.
- All auditions are at the Playhouse, Mondays at 6:30 PM, unless otherwise noted. All auditions are open to the public.
- Shows, audition dates, and cast needs are subject to change.