- All sales are final. No refunds.
- All orders, whether purchased online, by phone, or at the ticket office, are subject to the same service, ticketing, and processing fees. Ticket fees help to offset the cost of running our ticket system.
- Tickets may be exchanged up to 24 hours prior to the performance by calling the Playhouse Ticket Office, 515.277.6261. Ticket office hours are Noon-6:00 PM, Tuesdays-Fridays, and 2 hours prior to curtain on evenings and weekends.
- All persons entering the theatre, regardless of age, must have a ticket. Seniors are adults ages 62+. Students are infants through college student.
- Although there are no age restrictions, parents should use discretion regarding appropriateness of some shows.
- Season ticket holders wanting to make an online purchase for additional tickets to shows must use their assigned discount code to receive subscriber discounts. If you place the online order and the discount code has not been used, we are unable to refund the difference.
- When using a discount code, click on Apply and confirm the code has been accepted. If you place the online order and the discount code has not been validated, we are unable to refund the difference.
- Flex Four, Gift Certificates, Guest Passes, and other coupons and credits are currently not redeemable online. Redeem these items at The Playhouse Ticket Office, by phone at 515.277.6261 and in person. Do not place an online order. If you place the online order, we are unable to refund the online purchases.
- Your tickets will be a PDF attachment to an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. You can print your tickets, or you can just show them to us on your smartphone.
- Cancellations due to bad weather are typically not decided until 3:00 PM on performance days and 11:00 AM on weekend matinee days. Cancellations will be noted on the website and social media, and announced by the media wherever possible. Please be sure you include your email information and phone when ordering your tickets in the event we need to contact you. Tickets for a cancelled performance may be exchanged for another performance.
- In the Mainstage, $29 Hot Tickets are available 2 hours prior to curtain, are limited to available tickets, and available for purchase in person at the ticket office only.
- Student Rush Tickets are $15 for John Viars Theatre musicals and $10 for John Viars Theatre non-musicals. Purchases are limited to 2 tickets per student ID, and only available at the ticket office 2 hours prior to curtain.
Accessibility & Hearing Impaired
The Playhouse strives to make its facility and performances accessible to all guests. Theatres are wheelchair accessible. Service animals are welcome. Assisted listening devices, large print programs, and braille programs are available at John Viars Theatre performances. ASL interpreted performances, audio description, and other services may be available with advance notice. Please call the ticket office at 515.277.6261 with specific service requests.
The Playhouse has a telecoil hearing loop system. If your hearing ad has a T-coil, you can toggle to that setting to receive the audio signal directly without any headset or other equipment needed. Listening devices are available for free at the ticket office and can be used with Playhouse provided headset or with your own earbuds.
John Viars Theatre (formerly Mainstage) Content Advisory: The Playhouse does not rate subject matter as sensitivities vary from person to person. If you have questions about content, age appropriateness, or other aspects of the show (ie strobe lights and other theatrical affects), please contact the ticket office at 515.277.6261.
Children’s Theatre Age Intention: Playhouse children’s theatre productions are intended for ages 5 and up.
Friday Funday reservations for groups of 15 or more may be made by calling The Playhouse Ticket Office, 515.277.6261.
How can I buy tickets?
Tickets are available 24 hours a day online. Our ticketing system is real time, and allows you to choose your seats. The ticket office is open Noon-6:00 PM, Tuesdays-Fridays, and can be reached by phone during that time at 515.277.6261. Performance weekends, the ticket office opens 2 hours prior to show time. The ticket office is open through intermission of shows.
What are your ticket prices?
John Viars Theatre shows start at $29 for musicals and $24 for non-musicals. Kate Goldman Children’s Theatre shows start at $14.
Are there ticketing fees?
Yes. All orders, whether purchased online, by phone, or at the ticket office, are subject to the same service, ticketing, and processing fees.
Does the Playhouse offer discounted tickets?
Season tickets are the best price, and are a savings of 20% over ticket prices. The John Viars Theatre has a Hot Ticket program: all seats, day-of-show, $29, beginning two hours prior to show time, in person at the ticket office. On occasion we will sell tickets to the final dress rehearsal for $5-25, depending upon the show. Contact The Playhouse ticket office at 515.277.6261 for more information.
What are the ages for senior tickets?
62 years and older.
My child is 3-years-old and not a student. Does my child need a ticket? What price is that ticket?
All persons, regardless of age, must have a ticket. The price for children is the same as the student ticket price.
Does my infant need a ticket? Do I need to buy a ticket for a child who will sit on my lap?
All persons, regardless of age, must have a ticket.
Are there age restrictions on shows?
Our experience is that live theatre is generally not enjoyable for children under 5, either for the child or the audience. All guests regardless of age who become disruptive or talkative are asked to move to the lobby where the performance can be watched on a TV screen. The Playhouse can suggest websites to visit for more information on a show.
Why do I have to pay ticketing fees?
Ticket fees help offset the cost of running our ticket system.
I’m looking at the John Viars Theatre auditorium map. What is the difference between rows A-J and rows M-X?
Rows A-J, sometimes referred to as the main floor or orchestra, are closest to the stage. Rows M-X are similar to stadium-style seating in movie theatres. There are steps involved with rows M-X.
I’m looking at the Kate Goldman Children’s Theatre auditorium map. Can I see from the left and right sides?
Directors in the Kate Goldman Children’s Theatre are skilled at revealing the stage so that it is interesting from all angles. If you were to come and watch a rehearsal, you would see the director sitting in the right and left seating to make sure that the story is open to both sides as well as the center section.
My tickets are at Will Call. Where is that?
The ticket office, on the 41st Street (east, lower) side of the building, designates Will Call as the window where guests can pick up tickets that have already been paid.
Do you give refunds? Can I exchange my tickets?
While all sales are final, you can exchange your tickets up to 24 hours prior to your performance by contacting The Playhouse ticket office at 515.277.6261.
Do you sell gift certificates?
We sell gift certificates in multiples of $5.
Can I redeem gift certificates online?
You need to call the Playhouse ticket office at 515.277.6261 or visit the ticket office to redeem gift certificates.
What happens if the weather is bad?
If a show is cancelled due to inclement weather, every effort is made to contact guests. Guests are contacted via email whenever possible, then by phone. Please make sure we have your current email and phone information in the event we need to contact you. Whenever possible, information is posted on the theatre’s website, social media outlets, and the theatre’s phone system. Area media are also notified. Cancellations due to bad weather are typically not decided until 3:00 PM on performance day, 11:00 AM for weekend matinee performances.
Does the Playhouse donate tickets for fundraisers?
We love to donate ticket packages to your auction or fundraiser. On your non-profit organization’s letterhead, please send a request with information about your event including the date when you will need the tickets to the Des Moines Community Playhouse, 831 42nd St., Des Moines, IA 50312, or email@example.com.