Into the Woods
A childless baker and his wife wish to lift their family curse. A scullery maid wishes to attend the King’s Festival. A young boy wishes to sell his milkless cow. The Baker, his Wife, Cinderella, Jack (of Beanstalk fame), Little Red Riding Hood, and other classic fairy tale characters all journey into the woods to seek their hearts’ wishes. But what happens when you get what you wish for? Venture back Into the Woods with the Des Moines Community Playhouse.
- Audiences are encouraged to come to the theatre 30 minutes prior to curtain for a preshow talk with Into the Woods artistic staff. Preshow talks are held in the upper lobby.
- The performance on Sunday, Sept. 20, will have live audio description, provided by IRIS. Please contact our ticket office at 515-277-6261 if you would like to use this free service. ASL interpreted performances available with advance notice.
Awards and Nominations
- 1988 Tony Award® nominee Best Musical
- 1988 Tony Award® winner Best Book of a Musical
- 1988 Tony Award® winner Best Original Score
- 1988 Drama Desk winner Outstanding Musical
- 1988 Drama Desk winner Outstanding Book of a Musical
- 1988 Drama Desk winner Outstanding Lyrics
- Narrator/Mysterious Man
- Edward Barker
- Katy P. Merriman
- Joshua Haldeman
- Jack's Mother
- Sarah Kelly
- The Baker
- Jonathan Brugioni
- The Baker's Wife
- Sarah Hinzman
- Cinderella's Stepmother
- Rachel Meyer
- Erin Besser
- Marisa Spahn
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Kate Glenney
- The Witch
- Gina Gedler
- Jonathan DeLima
- Molly Ternus
- Cinderella's Prince
- Stevie LeWarne
- Rapunzel's Prince
- Will Edgar
- Cinderella's Mother/Granny
- Renee Schwarz
- Micheal Davenport
Photos available for download at http://www.dmplayhouse.com/media
The Des Moines Community Playhouse presents the musical, “Into the Woods,” Sept. 11-Oct. 4, 2015. Tickets may be purchased online at dmplayhouse.com, by phone at 515-277-6261, or at the Playhouse ticket office, 831 42nd St. “Into the Woods” is sponsored by The Principal Financial Group.
A baker and his wife wish to have a child. Cinderella wishes to attend the King’s Festival. Jack wishes his cow would give milk. The Baker (Jonathan Brugioni), his Wife (Sarah Hinzman), Cinderella (Katy P. Merriman), Jack of Beanstalk fame (Joshua Haldeman), Little Red Ridinghood (Kate Glenney), a Witch (Gina Gedler) and other classic fairy tale characters all journey into the woods to seek their hearts’ wishes. But what happens when they get what they wish for?
The Playhouse cast is directed by John Viars with music direction by Brenton Brown. The cast includes Edward Barker, Erin Besser, Micheal Davenport, Jonathan deLima, Will Edgar, Sarah Kelly, Stevie LeWarne, Rachel Meyer, Renée Schwarz, Marisa Spahn, and Molly Ternus.
The Playhouse is Iowa’s oldest and largest producing theatre. Located at the 42nd Street exit of I-235, the theatre has presented a full season of shows since 1919 and also offers a wide variety of educational experiences including classes for ages 4 to adult, theatre trips to New York, and volunteer opportunities onstage and backstage.
For more information about the Playhouse and “Into the Woods,” contact the Playhouse ticket office at 515-277-6261.
“Into the Woods” Performances: Sept. 11-Oct. 4, 2015
7:30 PM Wednesday-Saturday
2:00 PM Sunday